Last Updated on December 1, 2022 by chuckm
Note: Congrats to Jim Volpi! He is our Defy 2017 Contest Winner
Thanks to all that participated in our contest!
Take some pride in your hard work and enter the Defystain.com Deck and Wood Restoration Contest 2017!
- Defy Stain and Defy Prep products must be purchased first from our online retail site between January 1st – June 25th, 2017: Defy Exterior Stains
- Deadline for entry is June 30th, 2017.
- Contestant winner will receive up to a $250 credit to their DefyStain.com online purchase! Contestant winner will also receive a brand new Weber Grill for their deck!
- All other contestant entries will receive a 5% credit towards their online purchase up to $25, so it pays to enter!
- The winner will be decided on July 5th by our team.
How To Enter DefyStain.com Contest
- Enter by June 30th, 2017.
- In the comment section below, post a short description of your deck staining project, the products used to prep, the Defy Stain version used (Extreme, Hardwood, etc) and Color used.
- Add 2 before prepping pictures of the wood that was restored (no more/less). You can still enter if you do not have the before pictures. Decks, wood fences, wood homes, etc are allowed.
- Add 2 after staining pictures must be included (no more/less).
- If having trouble uploading the pictures, please make your picture(s) sizes are smaller or upload 1-2 pictures at a time.
We look forward to all entries and wish everyone “Happy Defy Deck/Wood Staining”!
*Disclaimer: All products must be purchased from DefyStain.com. The contest is not open to products purchased from other online dealers or from physical stores. All pictures will become the property of Saver Systems Inc and OPW L.L.C.
How can I get my Deck looking as Jim Volpi’s deck? Is he a professional Deck Restorer or is he just a regular Homeowner?
Thanks for the compliment, but just a regular homeowner. In my opinion, preparation is the key. With any project, staining, painting, If you try to cut corners, rush the project, or omit a step in the process (e.g. not stripping or cleaning the wood thoroughly), the stains ability to seal out the moisture will be drastically reduced, especially on horizontal surfaces that come in direct contact with the elements. Just take your time, follow the steps outlined, & your finished product will be awesome!!!
Replaced 120 ft. decking above seawall in 2016 with pretreated wood. Since wood was new, waited 1 yr before staining with Defy Extreme Semi-Transparent Natural Pine. Prep entailed a LIGHT power wash. Extremely satisfied (no pun intended) with the product. Best stain used in my 23yrs owning a waterfront home. Also used Extreme on a side porch and secondary deck.
The above pics are before staining. After apparently did not load. After pics of the project.
Large project, first pic is outside of porch & deck, next two pics are before & after staining porch floor, used Extreme Redwood stain after Defy wood brightener, a power wash & 48 hrs. to dry.
Wow Jim. That’s an amazing job. The before and after is incredible.
Thanks, if you take your time and perform the steps in the correct order, Defy does an awesome job!!!
Hi Jim, Can you please tell me which colors you are using? I bought redwood but it is too Orange for me, looking for a medium to dark wood with some red overtones? I like yours. Thanks!
Might want to mix Butternut and Redwood together.
Large cedar outdoor deck in a damp moist environment. Used oil based products in the past and it failed miserably.
Prepped , power washed, brightened and sanded.
Applied Defy Butternut stain.
I posted the pictures. Are they viewable?
You pictures were not uploaded. Please try again.
I stained my deck and fence. I used 2 of the 5 gallon Defy Extreme Semi transparent in cherrywood. I used the Magnum Project Painter Plus with 50′ hose, swivel attachment, Gorilla Cart to transport.
I bought products for my fence. Does that count or does it have to be a deck?
We will allow fences.
Does it have to be a deck? I have a house that I’m refinishing.
We have decided to allow homes and fences as well for this contest.
I cannot provide any before pictures — deck has been stained. So I guess I am not eligible . .
Feel free to post after pictures.