Last Updated on February 4, 2023 by Defy Help
Previously Stained Deck/Wood
When removing a failed transparent wood or deck coating it is needed to use the Defy Stain Stripper. This will soften the old coating allowing easier removal.
Note: It is need not needed to do Step 1 Wood Deck Cleaning if you are using the Defy Stain Stripper.
*This process will work on the majority of transparent and semi-transparent stains. It will not be as effective on solid or opaque stains.
- Wet wood or deck down thoroughly with water. Take extra care to pre-rinse vegetation and house.
- Apply Defy Stain Stripper following the manufacturer’s directions. The stripper should dwell on the wood for 10-15 minutes. The wood will “darken” in color during this process. Makes sure that you mist the deck with water if it starts to dry. Use protective clothing, glasses, and gloves.
- Pressure Wash or Hand Scrub the wood to remove the old coating, dirt, graying, mold, and mildew.
- When done washing, take your time to rinse the wood, home, vegetation, stripper suds, dirt, and wood fibers.
- Use the Defy Wood Brightener to “brighten” the wood and neutralize the wood back to the proper pH balance. This should dwell on the wood for 5-15 minutes. Once done make sure to rinse the wood, home, vegetation, etc.
- Wood should dry for 48 hours prior to a Defy Stain application.