Last Updated on January 30, 2023 by Defy Help
2023 Update for Wet on Wet Application for Defy Exterior Wood and Deck Stains
Defy Deck Stains are applied wet on wet for most scenarios. We love hearing from our customers who have used the Defy Stains or have questions about the application. We appreciate your input, so feel free to leave a comment below and pictures of your completed projects if you have them.
Wet on Wet stain application consists of applying a coat of stain and then applying your second coat of stain while the first coat has not dried or cured completely. This process allows the application to be evenly applied while at the same time, over-application issues are minimized.
So how do you apply Defy Wood and Deck Stains “Wet on Wet”? This article will explain the simple steps taken to help you apply your Defy Stains properly.
Defy Stains Wet on Wet Application Help
- Make sure that the wood is properly prepped first. See here for Defy Prepping Instructions
- Start with railings first. Apply one coat of stain to all railings. Take care to protect the floor from any drips. After the first coat is applied, apply a light second coat to the top of the railings only. This should be done 20-120 minutes after the first coat is applied.
- Repeat Step 2 for any wood benches or other vertical structures.
- Once done with the verticals, apply one coat of the Defy Stain to the flooring and walking surfaces. Make sure to do the entire floor.
- Reapply a second light coat to the floor within 20-60 minutes of the first coat. it is okay to walk on your first coat of stain even though it has not dried completely. Take care to no step in your second coat of stain.
Defy Stain Tips for Wet on Wet Application
- Do not apply 2 coats to brand-new wood.
- Wear shoes that you do not care about getting stain on.
- Apply quickly to avoid overlaps.
- Only 1 coat is needed for the verticals while all horizontals should get the second coat
- Do not over-apply. Two light coats are best.
- Defy is a penetrating wood stain that works best by diving deep into the wood grain. Make sure to avoid “filming” the stain on the surface from excessive application.
- Defy Stains are best applied with a stain pad applicator, brush, or sprayer.
If You Need any Help, Please Ask Below!